Our acrylic glass plates in black are available as individual laser cuts up to a total size of 1500mmx980mm. The highly pigmented, deep black plates are opaque (not transparent) and are not translucent due to opaque design. In order to guarantee perfect laser cuts with regard to the optical effect of the cut edge, we use cast acrylic glass (Acrylic glass GS) without exception. This gives the laser edge a much more even appearance, resulting in a smoother and shinier surface on the cut edges, which in terms of appearance and gloss is almost as smooth as the smooth surfaces of black sheets.
The acrylic glass plates are completely and uniformly pigmented in black. This means that the solid plates have exactly the same deep black colour at the laser edges as the glossy surfaces.
TIP: Our opaque acrylic glass panels in black are provided with a protective film on both sides, which can however be easily removed. This protects the surfaces from scratches before and during processing.
Acrylic glass is a weatherproof and UV-resistant plastic and is very often synonymous with the brand name Plexiglas®. Due to the very good resistance to UV-radiation and the light resistance, the black sheets do not fade and therefore our laser cut plastic sheets can be used both indoors and outdoors. Furthermore, acrylic glass is frost-resistant down to -40°C and can be used permanently even at high outside temperatures of up to +80°C.
The low weight of acrylic glass compared to conventional glass, which weighs about twice as much, is another advantage. Although the opaque acrylic glass is not used as plastic glazing, but in combination with transparent, coloured or tinted acrylic glass sheets, a harmonious overall picture is created in terms of material and surface gloss.
- Acrylic glass in black is UV-resistant and as a weatherproof plastic also ideal for outdoor applications
- Thanks to their high surface hardness, the black acrylic glass sheets are considered relatively insensitive to scratches
- Compared to glass, the black PMMA has up to 10 times higher impact strength
- The temperature application range of black acrylic glass ranges from -40°C to +80°C
- The black acrylic glass in opaque design is opaque and not translucent
- Acrylic glass in black corresponds to the fire protection classes DIN 4102 B2 or UL94 HB
In contrast to our conventional plastic sheet cuts, the laser cutting of our acrylic glass sheets offers considerably more flexibility in terms of shaping, because with laser cutting we are not limited to rectangular formats. With just a few mouse clicks you can create acrylic glass in all conceivable shapes individually. Thanks to our laser part configurator with a wide range of configuration options, circles, signs with rounded corners or even drill holes, for example, can be created in no time at all and lasered exactly to your specifications.
Apart from the freedom of shaping, the even, smooth cutting edge is a clear advantage compared to the conventional saw cut, where the saw edges appear saw-rough and therefore slightly cloudy. The ultra-fine laser beam penetrates the material effortlessly and causes the cut edges to fuse easily, making them appear almost polished and shiny like the surfaces of the black acrylic sheets. Contact-free cutting by laser also has the advantage that extremely low manufacturing tolerances are possible.
- The cut edge of our laser cuts is smooth and even and is similar to the surface of the board.
- The blanks made of black acrylic glass are extremely precise with a CO2 laser thanks to contact-free cutting
- In contrast to sawing, the cut edges of laser cutting are not sharp, so there is no risk of injury
- Laser cutting offers significantly more flexibility in shaping compared to rectangular saw cutting
- Thanks to its simple operation, individual laser cuts are very easy to create with our configurator
TIP: The size of our laser cuts from acrylic glass is limited to a maximum of 1500mmx980mm.
Our black acrylic glass plates are laser cut exactly according to your configuration, so that further cutting should not be necessary. Should you nevertheless wish to drill holes, cut or cut out parts, you can use commercially available tools for wood processing. When sawing, we recommend a saw blade with medium coarse toothing and a milling head for woodworking can also be used for milling. For drilling holes, however, we recommend a drill for metalworking with a ground head (type HSS-G), because these drills are characterised by a very good drill head sharpness. Since acrylic glass, like most thermoplastics, tends to soften when heated too much, you should reduce the speed of rotation considerably when sawing, milling or drilling. This can prevent the sawing or drilling chips from fusing with the cutting edge. In addition, you should always make sure that the base is flat and firm so that it does not break off or form cracks during processing.
The opaque acrylic glass in black design can be excellently laminated, glued and bonded with suitable adhesives. While laser cuts from extruded acrylic glass release tensions which can lead to stress cracks at the cut edges when in contact with solvent-based adhesives, this is not to be feared with our laser cuts. The reason for this is that we only use cast acrylic glass for our laser cuts from acrylic glass. Due to the manufacturing process, these are free of internal stresses. For gluing our laser cuts made of black PMMA, we recommend our special cold welding adhesive PMMA profi from our own brand S-Polybond. This has been specially developed for bonding acrylic glass and enables secure and crystal-clear bonding of PMMA parts to be bonded.
Acrylic glass is a thermoplastic and as such can be deep-drawn very well. The temperature range for thermal forming is ideally between 150°C and 190°C for best possible results of the deep-drawn part. However, you should make sure that the protective foil has to be removed on both sides before deep-drawing, as it is not suitable for deep-drawing and is only used to protect the smooth, shiny surfaces from damage and scratches that could occur when processing the laser parts.
- Laser parts made of black acrylic glass can be easily sawed, drilled, milled or ground
- Laser parts made of black acrylic glass can be easily bonded with solvent-free adhesives
- Laser parts made of black acrylic glass can be thermally deformed between 150°C and 190°C
- Laser parts made of black acrylic glass are suitable for wall mounting e.g. with our spacers
WARNING: When cleaning laser cuts from acrylic glass, cleaning agents containing alcohol or scouring agents should be avoided.
The extensive possibilities of our configurator may not be sufficient, so that we are quite willing to produce laser cuts exactly according to your specifications or a design drawing. In addition, we can also supply our lasered acrylic glass sheets in many other colours and designs - from tinted, through satinised, to other opaque, opaque sheets. If the variant you require is not available in the standard delivery programme of our online shop, you are very welcome to send us an enquiry with your specific requirements. Simply send us an e-mail with the necessary information or give us a call and we will give you information about price and delivery times as soon as possible.
Possibilities on request with our CO2 laser system:
- Laser cuts according to construction drawing in vector format
- perforated panels or cut-outs in any shape
- Engravings e.g. your logo, a lettering or even graphics
- Laser cuts from prototype to precise series production
- and much more
Plexiglas® is a registered brand name of Röhm GmbH.